GP2GP - Wales
GP2GP enables the electronic transfer of computerised patient notes from a patient's previous practice to a new practice, when they register for primary health care, see GP2GP Wales Overview for details.
The main benefits of GP2GP are:
- Improved Quality and Continuity of Care:
- Full patient electronic health record available for the patient's first appointment, which results in a more focused and informed consultation.
- Past medical history available and information about medication, allergies, adverse reactions, immunisations and vaccinations.
- Improved Safety:
- Fewer transcribing errors and omissions, the need to key in information from paper records is greatly reduced.
- Allergies and adverse reactions are flagged for review for new patients, resulting in safer prescribing.
- Clinical Time Saving:
- The electronic health record contains information such as lab results and letters from specialists, which helps in the clinical decision-making process.
- This also means there are fewer requests for unnecessary duplicate lab tests.
- Administrative Time Saving:
- The need to transfer essential patient information from paper records is significantly reduced.
- Attachments received electronically, which results in time saved not having to re-scan items into the patient's electronic health record.
- Quality and Outcomes Framework information populated immediately when a patient's electronic health record is integrated.
Vision receives and files records coded in both Read and SNOMED CT terms.
GP2GP in Wales is currently available for patient transferring within Wales and restricted to the following systems:
- Vision to Vision