Adding a Repeat Prescription
A Repeat Master is created to authorise a medication for more than one issue. Each Repeat Master has either a maximum number of issues or a Repeat Until date before it requires reauthorising.
To create a Repeat Master
- From Consultation Manager , select the patient and start a consultation if required.
- Select List Repeat Therapy .
- Simply start typing, or press <Esc> and the Repeat Master - Add screen displays:
- Complete as follows:
- Date Prescribed - Defaults to today's date, update if required.
- Prescriber - Defaults to the prescriber logged on, if the person logged on is not a prescriber, the usual GP is selected. Update if required.
- Source of Drug - Defaults to In practice, select from the available list if you are recording this medication from another source.
- P/Admin - Tick to record medication given for example an injection.
- Dispensed - Tick to record medication handed to the patient.
- Private - Tick to record this as a private prescription.
- Print Script - Remove tick to stop this prescription being printed, for example if it had been hand written on a visit and you are recording it.
- PRN - Adding a drug with an As Needed dosage instruction automatically selects the PRN option on Therapy Add. This enables PRN items to print separately from other items. Remove the tick to deselect, if required.
- Repeats - Enter the number of repeats you are authorising.
- Batch - Tick to make this an eRD (England)/Serial Prescribing (Scotland).
- Repeat Until Date - Enter an end date or date offset if required.
- Days Between Issues - Enter number of days if required:
- Min - Minimum number of days between issues
- Max - Maximum number of days between issues
- Force Re-authorise - Tick to restrict reauthorisation to clinical staff with a GMP number recorded.
- Drug - Enter the first three or four letters of the drug name required, optionally followed by the form and then the strength, for example 'amox cap 250' and press <Enter>. The medication you require should be returned, if not either:
- Use the up and down arrows to move through the medication list.
- Select Switch to generic drug , or
- Press <F3>, the Select Drug screen displays, complete as follows:
See Using the Select Drug Screen for further details.
- Complete as follows:
- Name - Enter the first three or four letters of the medication you require.
- Form - Select if required.
- Strength - Select if required.
- Select Find and highlight the medication you require.
- Select OK.
- Quantity - Enter the number or amount required.
- Preparation optional - Completes with the medication default, update if required.
- Pack Size optional - Select if required.
- Treat Days - Enter if required
- Dosage - Completes with the medication default, update if required, standard abbreviations are accepted, for example 1OD displays as 1 Every Day, 2PRN displays as 2 When Required.
- Drug Class - Completes with the medication default, update if required.
- Additional Information - Select to enter information to print on the right-hand side of the prescription form.
- Instalment Dispensing - Select to enter additional information for instalment dispensing.
- Check the Allergy and Intolerance section, if there are any drug allergies recorded this section is highlighted in red.
- Select OK.
Drug Checks are now performed, displaying any contraindications, interactions or drug doubling before you proceed with the prescription, see Drug Checks for details.
- Providing you want to proceed, select Yes to any warning where appropriate enter the reason.
- Select Proceed.
- If you link medications to Problems, the Add Medication to Problem screen displays. Tick the relevant problems and select OK, see Consultation Manager Setup - Management for details.
The new repeat master can now be issued, see Issuing Repeat Prescriptions.