Adding a Referral - England
To add a referral:
- From Consultation Manager , select the patient required and start a consultation if required.
- Select Add - Referral, remember you can use <Alt+A> then <Alt+F> if using the keyboard.
- Select either:
- Referrals - The Referral - Add screen displays.
- From Default - The Select Default screen displays, select the Default referral required, see Setting Up Default Referrals and Requests for details.
- The Referral - Add screen displays:
- Complete as follows:
Provider details are set up from Control Panel, see Add Hospital or NHS Trust for further details.
- Date of Referral - Defaults to today's date, update as required.
- Clinician - Defaults to the staff member or GP signed on for the current session, update as required.
- Private - Defaults to unticked, tick if you are recording a private referral.
- In Practice - Ticked by default, remove tick to record referral was recorded out of the practice.
- Online Booking - Tick to access the eReferral Services web page, make an appointment request or booking and allocate a unique booking reference number (UBRN).
- Read Term for Referral Reason - Select a Read code in the usual way, see Finding a Read Code for details.
- Source - Select as appropriate.
- Referral Type - Select from the list available as appropriate.
- Attendance Type - Select as appropriate.
- Urgency - Select as appropriate, Urgency is updated to <None> if you select Online Booking, update before selecting OK. The Urgency is then copied to the e-Referral Service.
- Contract Status - Select if required.
- Action Date - The date by which you would expect treatment to have started. Enter a time period here, for example, 7D for seven days, or 3M for three months. Action dates can be searched on, there are no actions triggered once overdue.
- Status - Select if required.
- Booking Reference - If this is an eReferral the UBRN displays.
- Unit - Select a provider.
- Department - Select if required.
- Consultant - Select if required.
- NHS Specialty - Select if required, you can analyse referrals by specialty on the Referrals Report.
- TP Specialty - Select as required.
- Notes - Select to add free text if required, text can be copied <Ctl+C> and pasted <Ctl+V> into Notes.
- Letter - Select to create a referral letter, see Generating a Referral/Request Letter for details.
- Label - Select to print a label for this referral, check the number of labels is correct and select OK, for design details see Specimen Labels.
- Default - Select to use or set up a default referral, see Setting Up Default Referrals and Requests for details.
- Select OK to save and close.
Other ways to add referrals include:
- Add Referral
- Click, Drag and Drop - Click on the entry you want to create a referral for, hold your click and release over Make a referral for this item on the floating tool bar. The Read Term for Referral Reason is completed automatically using this method.
- Simply right click on an existing referral and select Add.
From the Journal or Filtered tabs, select More… to view the details of the referral.